In this article, I will be examining the opportunities that abound for those who have or desire to study for a degree in Kinesiology. First of all, it is necessary to understand what this field of study is all about. It is the study of the body movements of humans and non-humans. It is concerned with everything that has to do with the movement of humans and animals. This subject covers the psychological, physiological and biomechanical mechanisms of movement. Those who have a degree in it would have knowledge and developed skill which will include:
* A good understanding of the social, biological, psychological and other factors that affect the movement of humans.
* Ability to develop and administer effective plans for injury prevent and rehabilitation.
* Ability to carry out risk assessments related to work and other activities.
* Ability to assess the physical and recreational needs of a community and make the right recommendations.
* Having an understanding of the theories, trends and developments in health and fitness.
* Ability to effectively assess the quality of athletic equipment.
* Ability to assess and ensure the effective use of athletic activities and environments.
* Ability to develop, organize and plan relevant physical activities and programs for individuals and groups.
Several employers in different industries employ people with a degree in Kinesiology. These may include:
- Marketing and
Public Relations organizations
- Event Management organizations
- Recreational programs in communities
- Schools and Universities
- Sport shops
- Hospitals and medical facilities
- Retail shops
- Sports organisations
There are also many areas where Kinesiologists can fit in and I shall go through a few of them here in order to provide anyone interested in pursuing a degree in this field of study adequate information to make the right choice. Those who possess a Kinesiology degree have a lot of potential because it has a wide scope. There are four main occupational categories in Kinesiology. These include:
PHYSICAL EDUCATION- Self-employment
FITNESS AND WELLNESS- Medical
RECREATION AND LEISURE- Provincial/ State and Federal Governments
- Municipal Parks and Recreation
- Commercial Recreation
- Camping and Outdoor Recreation
HEALTH EDUCATION- Teaching
- Self employment
- Government agencies
Some of the career paths such a person can take include but is not limited to the following:
1. Physical Education TeacherA Kinesiologist can work as a physical education teacher providing knowledge and skills to others in sports, health and fitness. Their work is very important and helps students develop mentally and physically in order to make the right choices in life. They motivate students to pursue and achieve great goals. To function and grow in this career, it is recommended that the individual obtains a teaching certification.
2. Athletic CoachThey can also work as a coach and help in developing new talents and guiding athletes to make progress in their chosen sport. They must be able to teach the right to help their students succeed. As an athletic coach, you may be required to identify or monitor mobility and stability problems in individual athletes and if discovered, recommend appropriate exercises that could strengthen or correct them. You may also need to know how to design or administer sport specific performance and fitness tests to help improve their overall fitness. The coach along with his team members would also need to develop design regular for performance improvement plans for athletes. You may also with your team design programs to help athletes with that have weight loss issues. This career field pays well.
3. Health EducatorsKinesiologists can also have a successful career as health educators. In this career field, they would be required to teach others how to develop good habits to improve their general wellbeing. To achieve this, they would need to work with individuals to develop appropriate strategies. This
career field also offers excellent salaries to those in it.
4. Dance TeachersThey can also follow a career path as dance tutors. This requires skills and a lot of experience. Kinesiologists can function effectively here as they understand a lot about the movement of the body.
Other careers for which a degree in Kinesiology would be useful include:
• Activity Specialist
• Aerobics Instructor
• Athletic Director
• Athletic Scout
• Athletic Therapist
• Camp Director
• Cardiac Imaging Researcher
• Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist
• Community Program Director
• Exercise Physiologist
• Fitness Coach
• Fitness Consultant
• Gym Manager
• Health Care Aide
• Health Care Consultant
• Massage Therapist
• Medical Writer
• Military Officer
• Occupational Therapist
• Occupational Therapist Assistant
• Orthopaedic Technician
• Osteopathic Physician
• Personal Trainer
• Physical Therapy Assistant
• Recreation and Leisure Supervisor
• Recreation and Sports Director
• Recreation Therapist
• Research Assistant
• Spa Manager
• Sporting Goods Sales Rep
• Sports Agent
• Sports Coach
• Sports Facility Manager
• Sports Medicine Physician
• Strength and Conditioning Coach
• University Professor
• Wellness Coordinator
The general duties and responsibilities for those in this field will include:
• To identify and choose the right athletic and sporting equipment
• To manage and administer sports programs and facilities
• Provide advisory services for sports management and promotion
• To develop appropriate fitness and improvement plans for athletes
• Coaching or training amateur or professional athletes
• To administer wellness programs for individuals and communities
• To teach physical education classes to those that they work with especially in school settings
• Liaising with other health professionals, such as physiotherapists and doctors
• Developing, implementing and monitoring rehabilitation programs for people experiencing movement disorders and difficulties caused by it
• To conduct appropriate assessments to help reduce accidents and increase productivity
• To monitor patients who are need in of physical rehabilitation and ensure that they adhere to the plan and agreed timelines