I shall be examining some personality development books that have contributed and impacted the lives of millions of people the world over.
Personality development like we know is all about the process that individuals pass through to develop distinct and unique personalities. It can also be described as the process of developing certain behavioral and attitudinal patterns. It is influenced by several factors that may include: family background and upbringing, temperament of the individual and the different environment people pass through in their journey in life. Our personalities are influenced by the type of peers and friends we keep, the schools we attend and the type of learning and training we undergo when growing up. We can also improve our personalities by exposing ourselves to knowledge which majorly comes through reading interesting and inspiring personality development books. Reading and practicing what we read is the key to life transformation and lasting personality development.
The process of personality development continues all through life and individuals consistently need to make conscious efforts to develop themselves.
Benefits of reading Personality Development Books1. They are a source of inspiration to anyone who desires to develop themselves and become better in their chosen field. Without inspiration, people tend not to have any zeal or drive to do anything so it is important to expose our minds to
relevant information from such books.
2. They help to keep the passion burning in the heart of readers. Passion is important if success is to be achieved in life. Where there is no passion, there is no zeal. It keeps people going even in the face of disappointment or failure. Personality development books help to boost passion in the lives of people.
3. These books are a source of knowledge and exposes the readers to a wide range of information on how they can improve themselves to become better.
4. They help people to improve their behavior and attitude to others. These personality development books show people how to relate and build relationships whether in business, career or family.
5. Personality development books help to shape the thoughts and beliefs of individuals. It is no gain saying that our personalities are determined to a very large extent by our belief system.
6. Such books help us to learn from our past and make better decisions to avoid repeating them in our future.
7. They help us to discover answers to the questions that we might have about life. This enables us understand ourselves better and in affect the positive development of our personalities.
There are a lot of personality development books that have been published which have helped millions of people to develop or improve their personalities and become better individuals. Some of these books have been in existence for decades now but are still influencing lives in a positive way. I have highlighted a few of the top personality development books that contributed to positive transformation in the lives of people and enabled them develop their personalities. These include:
1. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThis book has been described as one of the first best selling personality development books ever published. It is written by Dale Carnegie who is a renowned self help expert. It is said to have sold over 20 million copies the world over and is still read today by millions of people. Its emphasis was on how individuals can develop the right personality that enables them to win friends and influence people easily. It teaches time tested principles that helps anyone know how to handle people, win friends and influence them with your own way of thinking. For example, the book teaches simple ways to make people like you. These are:
a. To show genuine interest in others
b. To smile at all times
c. Learn to remember people's names.
d. Be a good listener.
e. Talk often about
what the other person is interested in.
f. Make other people feel important.
The book has been revised over the years and is still having great success in this century.
2. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillAnother popular book that has helped millions to learn and understand what they really need to do to develop their personalities in life is this book by Napoleon Hill. It was first published in 1937 and has helped people to improve their lives tremendously. It teaches individuals the important of thoughts and how they can help anybody succeed in whatever they do in life. It has sold over 100 million copies and was influenced by the author's research and study into the lives of several rich individuals. The book lists the steps which would enable people to achieve success in life as: desire, faith, auto-suggestion, specialized knowledge, imagination, organized planning, decision, persistence, power of the mastermind, they mystery of sex transmutation, the subconscious mind, the brain, the sixth sense.
Several editions have been published and it is still in high demand even today.
3. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen CoveyThis book is also a best seller. It was first published in 1989 and helps people to understand how to achieve their goals in life. It has sold over 20 million copies and has helped people to solve their personal and professional problems. The habits described in the book include:
1. People should be proactive and not reactive. They should take steps to expand their influence.
2. People should always begin with the end in mind and always have a vision of their future.
3. They should always have put the first things first and always prioritize between the important and what is not urgent. It states that priority should be in this order:
b. Important and not urgent
c. Not important and urgent
d. Not important and not urgent
4. Always think in terms of win-win situations.
5. Try to understand people and their mindset first before desiring that others understand you.
6. Emphasize team work by combining the strengths of everyone in order to achieve set goals.
7. It encourages individuals to balance and renew their resources in order to be more effective.
Other top personality development books are:
8. The Success Principles by Jack Canfield.
9. The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale.
10. Who moved my Cheese by Spencer Johnson.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter