Personal development simply has to do with the process of developing ourselves. The process, challenges, benefits and outcomes that are experienced on the journey all make up personal development. In order for personal development to be effective, whether in the office, home or business, a plan must be put in place that will enable it succeed. Without plans, nothing tangible will come out of our personal development goals.
A personal development plan is a guide that shows us the areas of our lives that we need to focus attention on. It outlines the steps that need to be taken in order to achieve a particular objective or goal. In this case, our focus is on personal development. Remember, the person who refuses to plan will always fail.
Benefits of Personal DevelopmentPersonal development plans helps us make our lives better and makes us achieve in the workplace. Here are some benefits of a personal development plan:
1. It helps us build confidence to face the challenges of life and bring change in every area. The process that we go through to develop ourselves helps us become strong internally and externally. Without confidence, we would be unable to face the difficulty situations that may occur at work.
2. It helps us improve our communications skills. Communication is vital in our daily and this includes even our body language. This helps us know what to say and how to say it. In the workplace, it is a
major factor that contributes to the success of a team.
3. It enables us to get along with our colleagues at work. Personal development helps you learn how to be tolerant of others and their views. This is necessary for a cohesive work environment.
4. It helps to take action on assignments at work and prevents us from procrastinating what we need to do. This enables us meet deadlines and accomplish tasks in a shorter time.
5. It increases our ability to manage time effectively in the workplace. This contributes to the growth and bottom line of the organisation.
6. It helps us become more proactive and able to take initiatives. This enables employees to take responsibility and thereby contributing to the growth of the organisation and reducing losses.
7. It enables learn skills in conflict resolution so that much time is not used at work solving unnecessary problems. It is one of the skills we learn through the process of personal development.
8. It helps employees become more determined to do better and increase productivity at work.
9. It enables employees know how to manage work related stress. Managing stress effectively helps reduce breakdowns and loss of manhours.
10. It also helps improve our attitude and contributes to the ability of employees to make better decisions.
What you need in a Personal Development Plan1. The plan must be clear on its purpose.
2. The plan shows you why you are doing what you are doing.
3. The plan keeps you focused.
Steps to create a Personal Development Plan - for employers1. Determine what your organisational goals are first of all. This is important because you will need your goals with the personal development plan you want to develop for your employees. You would need to consider what your goals, objectives are and the competencies required to drive them. This is the foundation for any plan you may want to develop.
2. You will need to engage your employees in discussions to enable you determine their skill levels and personal development needs. This would also help you understand the challenges they face at work and what their focus in terms of career growth really is.
3. After that stage, you should have got a good idea of the personal development needs of your
4. It is now time to develop an action plan for their personal development. This may be in terms of training, coaching and mentoring. By now, you should have adequate information to develop a workable plan.
5. After they have gone through the process of personal development training or mentoring, you can now create opportunities for them to apply what they have learned. It will also help reinforce the knowledge they have acquired.