For any organisation to become successful and ultimately profitable there is the need to have qualified and committed people who understand the vision and can move it progressively in the direction the owners had envisaged. Where there are few people that have the necessary leadership skills, it would be almost impossible for this to happen. Therefore, it behoves the Management of the organisation to do their best in helping their employees develop from one level to the other. There should be a system put in place that makes it easy for serious employees to rise through the ranks if they possess the appropriate leadership skills.
Even though leaders are not born, there are individuals who begin to exhibit leadership from a very young age. Over the years, they started to have this as a part of their personality. Leadership positions but we know it is not for everybody. It is a skill and can be learned but requires interest and commitment from the individual. I would like to discuss the possible ways that Management of organisations could help in developing this skill in their employees.
How Leadership Skills are developed in the Workplace1. If employees desire to develop their leadership skills in the workplace, it would be a good if they would consider being innovative and apply new approaches that work. In this way, problems are solved in a shorter time and with maximum efficiency. They can also look out for new ways
that would help their team members put in more efforts and commitment towards the achievement of the organisation's goals. When they discover easier and more effective ways of handling tasks, they also develop better leadership skills and position themselves to be considered for leadership positions in the future.
2. Employees can also develop better leadership skills in the workplace by observing and learning from others. They may be influenced by someone in leadership or one of their colleagues. For anyone to become effective as a leader, they should have the ability to learn from other people. This would increase the value they place on their colleagues. It is easier for employees to grow if they have a teachable spirit than acting as if they know it all.
3. Another way through which employees can develop or enhance their leadership skills is by understanding how to resolve conflicts among themselves. It is possible to evaluate your skills in leadership by the way you are able to resolve issues without bringing in any negative attitude or making it become personal. It is good for potential leaders to speak honestly and straight to the point than to pretend and later complain behind. They should also learn how to be courageous as this would enable them face up to challenges that may arise. In this regard also, it is also important that you always listen to both sides before making decision.
4. Management in organisations can also help to develop or enhance leadership skills in their employees. They can do this by ensuring that team members are given rewards and recognized for the efforts and contributions they make in moving the business forward. Employees are encouraged to do more and this would contribute to the success and growth of the organisation.
5. Employees have the opportunity to develop their skills in leadership by showing initiative. This would enable them deliver beyond the expectations of their bosses. When you take on projects above your level, it adds to your knowledge base and helps you fine tune your skills. It also shows that you are responsible and able to handle more.
6. Another area to focus on as one who desires to develop these skills is your communication style. This
is very important because good leaders are excellent and effective communicators. If you are to communicate your vision, goals, and plan to your team, then you would understand the relevance of this skill. Effective communication makes it much easier to carry your people along and helps them understand clearly what your intentions are. They would need to concentrate on verbal and non verbal communication skills. The ability to listen to the suggestions and input from team members would help you develop your leadership skills better.
7. It would also help employees develop better leadership skills if they are able to learn more about various leadership styles. There are several styles and it is better to know something about each of them as this will help in the way you relate with team members and the type of results you produce. It would also help you identify the areas of your strength and where you need to improve on. When you have seen the areas of weakness, effort should be put in place to do something about it. In order to assess your skills, you can also consider taking an online leadership style test. From this you can also identify what style suits you better.
8. Successful leaders are usually critical thinkers. This is one thing you should strive to develop if you desire to occupy positions of leadership. Critical thinking enables leaders prevent serious problems before they arise in the workplace. It also helps them spot good opportunities that would help grow employees and the organisation.
9. Leadership skills can be developed in the workplace easily when you have a role model to follow. If you have identified someone whose leadership qualities and attributes you admire, it would not hurt to pick some things from them. These are people that motivate you to aspire for more.
10. The ability to motivate employees is a good leadership skill that needs to be developed. People always do better when they are motivated and not put down. A leader that exhibits this trait would always be able to stimulate employees to be passionate and ambitious.
These ideas would help Management and employees in the organisation understand what works and those that don't when it comes to developing leadership skills.