Managers need skills in leadership for them to function effectively in their organisations. Without having them, it would not be easy for them to produce results and to carry their team members along towards the achievement of organizational goals. It is a necessary quality for any manager that desires to be successful. These skills enable them bring the best out of their team. There are various ways to develop leadership skills and I shall be discussing these in this article.
- Ability to solve problems
This is a very important component of leadership. Anyone who will succeed as a leader should be able to solve complex problems easily. I do not suggest that a leader should know everything but they should be able to bring out the best in their team members in order to solve the challenges they faced in the workplace. This would be easy to accomplish if the manager knows how to get them to offer their individual ideas on how a problem can be solved from where they can now develop and establish an action plan. This will lead to increased productivity and the building of a stronger team. You can develop your leadership skills in this area by allowing your team members to make their inputs, feel valued and develop their self esteem.
Steps to take in solving problems include:
1. Define what the problem actually is because when this is not accurately identified, the diagnosis would be wrong. Flowcharts can be used to identify the
steps you are to take in the process. At this stage, you can review and record the existing processes and then evaluate the impact that the introduction of new tools and methods would have.
2. The next step is to develop alternative solutions. It is wise to come up with several alternatives so that the value of your final solution would be greatly enhanced. Managers can brainstorm and involve their team at this stage of problem solving. The various alternatives should be generated before you start evaluating any of them. This is to prevent you from choosing the first acceptable solution when you have not evaluated all the options.
3. Now, you can evaluate and select an alternative. Managers would need to consider that: each alternative is able to solve the problem and not cause any problem, the alternative will be acceptable to everyone, implementation of any of the alternative is likely, the alternative fits within set limits.
4. At this stage, you will be required to implement and follow up on the solution. The manager should involve others in the implementation as this will prevent any form of resistance to any changes.
- Ability to manage time
Managers can do better as leaders when they are able to manage their time wisely and better. They should also be able to give their team members realistic deadlines and provide them enough time to enable them deliver a great job. In order to manage time effectively as a manager, you will need to:
1. Make a list of the tasks that need to be accomplished and assign realistic priorities to each one.
2. Breakdown tasks into smaller portions and start with the tasks at hand as this will prevent you from loosing focus. In this way, you are able to complete the task for each day and move on to that of the next day or week. You are then able to accomplish more. Another tip that will help you daily is to develop a task list for the next day.
3. Discover and utilize the hours of the day which are more productive for you. Some people work better in the morning and others do better in the evening.
4. You can manage your time incrementally, that is, you can work for a few minutes and then get some rest. You
can also give yourself a time goal to complete a task.
5. Learn to give yourself some time to clear your mind and freshen up. This will help to re-energize you.
6. In order to manage your time effectively, you will need to keep track of the progress you have made. This affects you mentally as it relaxes you and gives you a sense of accomplishment.
7. As you complete tasks, you can rewrite and prioritize your tasks regularly. You can do this by adding new tasks and as each one is completed, you update your task list. Other things you can do is to delegate to others and utilize technology to complete tasks faster and with greater efficiency.
8. Get enough rest for your body each day. This will refresh your mind and make you more alert and able to function better.
- Ability to communicate effectively
Managers are seen as successful leaders when they are able to communicate their ideas to team members. They can assess the various ways through which they communicate and improve on them. It may be to improve their writing skills, enhance their public speaking skills, walk on their body language and eye contact, improve their listening skills. It is possible for managers to learn more about communication by attending training seminars or workshops. You can also take the following steps for effective communication:
1. Learn how to talk properly while passing across your thoughts and ideas.
2. Dentify the problems in the communication channel you use.
3. Make it a point of duty never to assume anything but ensure that your communication is always clear.
4. You should also learn how to use the right tone and body language to make your communication effective.
5. Strive to establish trust through your communication.
6. Listening is different from hearing. It is possible for someone to hear but not listen. When you listen, you pay attention to all that is being said. You use your ear to hear and your mind to listen. You will succeed as a leader when you are able to listen well to what your team members are saying.
7. Managers should learn to process and organize information properly as this makes communication effective in the workplace.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter