There are various examples of leadership skills that help leaders succeed in anything they do. Without them, it is impossible for a leader to do well or achieve anything worthwhile. Leadership skills help leaders make useful decisions and to utilize available resources efficiently, in fact leadership in itself is a skill. These skills enable individuals to lead, motivate, inspire and create a team in the pursuit of a common goal. Organizations look out for those who possess these skills to become leaders.
Examples of these leadership skills are discussed below.
1. InnovationLeaders that will succeed are those who are innovative. Everyone does not have this skill so those who possess it do better than others. It is the ability to create solutions to longstanding problems; introducing a new method, way to do a particular thing; creating a product or service that will add value to the lives of others. Innovative people will always lead others because they 'think out of the box' and are always focused on providing solutions. This leadership skill is very important because those who possess it are more productive than others. They add value to the organization and also become valuable such that their employers cannot do without them. These leaders are able to identify existing and new needs of the market which would enable the organization position itself to service those needs. Innovative leaders are able to improve sales in an organization through
the creation of new and faster processes that help increase the competitive advantage of the organization. They are also usually more motivated and help to motivate other members of their team into thinking more productive thoughts. Innovative leaders help employees become more productive and develop new ideas and approaches when faced with difficult problems. They are also hard workers and spend a lot of time planning and thinking on how to improve and make business processes easier. Innovative leaders are systematic when developing solutions to problems and they build more cohesive teams.
2. Strategic ThinkingOne key leadership skills is the ability to be strategic in thinking and planning. These leaders have a futuristic outlook on issues and do not allow the challenges and issues of the present slow them down. They are very strategic in their thinking and engage this in assessing, viewing and creating a future for themselves and their organization. This skill enables them develop a clearly defined vision and the ability to pursue the goals of the organization. Leaders with this skill are able to define what their objectives are and develop action plans. They are able to breakdown these objectives into tasks with timelines. Being proactive and not reactive is one of their major abilities and this helps them in anticipating the changes that occur in the business world. This type of leaders are very flexible in their planning process and are able to identify the direction the organization should take at any given time. Strategic thinkers are committed to learning and always use every opportunity they have to learn something new. This enables them to always have new ideas and adopt different approaches to solving difficult problems. They also seek advice from others who are more experienced in a particular area and are realistic in their projections for the future. This type of leaders are patient and do not rush into making hasty decisions. They also do not make hasty conclusions and judgments because circumstance and situations change. They understand that their ideas and approaches require time to develop into great successes. This skill makes such leaders take reasonable risks and try new methods; they want to know what is happening in various areas of the organizations; they are able to prioritize and focus on projects that have a higher potential of returns.
3. CommunicationSuccessful leaders have one common skill and this has to do with their ability to communicate effectively. Great leaders are often also
great communicators. Without effective communication skills, leaders would be unable to carry their followers along and the goals of the organization will not be achieved. Communication is something that must be effective if a team or an organization is to make progress. In today's organizations, there are several medium through which communication takes place. These include: direct conversation, meetings, email, skype and the mobile phone. Leaders would always choose their best method of communicating bearing in mind that lack of effective communication has a lot of negative impact on an organization and its employees. Some of these include: increased conflicts, low morale, loss of productivity, indiscipline, project failure and loss of revenue. Communication has its benefits which include: improved productivity, increase in revenues, staff morale boosting. There also has to be a communication strategy which helps reduce the disadvantages but increases the advantages. I shall examine some of the ways that leaders can use this skill effectively to produce more results and increase productivity. These include:
- Leaders can use their communication skills to build relationships with people and employees if in an organization. Build lasting friendships and do not relate with your subordinates only on a surface level.
- Leaders can use this skill in such a way that it helps them build close alliances with their subordinates. Get to know some if not all of your close team members by name and say it in a way that is pleasing to them. This increases the bond of friendship and draws them closer to such leader.
- Leaders who understand the power of communication can use this skill to inspire others. Let the people around you feel the power and confidence in your voice. This enables the leader energize his subordinates and helps them build their confidence levels which would bring about increased productivity.
- Leaders should be able to use the power of communication to encourage and motivate their subordinates.
- Leaders should be able to communicate well with their subordinates and give them the impression that they are interested in their general wellbeing. Show them that you are enthusiastic about talking to them. This will make them open up more to you.
- Leaders should also learn how to listen to their team members and subordinates as this helps to build closer ties. This makes communication effective and helps you learn new things about your people that you never knew before.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter